Arya Samaj Mandir is such a place where marriages take place irrespective of the caste/religion you belong to. It acts as a common ground for the couples who belong to different religions in India but comes under the common label ‘Hindus’.
If one of the partners belongs to Buddhism, Jainism, or Sikhism, they can simply get married in the Arya Samaj Mandir. The marriage ceremony is performed as per the Vedic rituals in Arya Samaj Mandir and it also legally recognized. The marriage comes under the Arya Samaj Marriages Validation Act of 1937 under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955.
The couples who decide to get married as per the Arya Samaj process can get the marriage registered under section 8 of the Act by going to the district marriage registration office. The Arya Samaj Marriage can be registered under the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, in case both the parties are of the same faith. It can be registered under the Special Marriage Act, 1954 if there is inter-faith marriage.
Eligibility for Arya Samaj Marriage
1. The age of the groom should be 21 and that of the bride should be 18.
2. Arya Samaj Marriage can be formed by any person who is Hindus, Buddhists, Jains, or Sikhs.
3. Any person who is Muslims, Christians, Parsis or Jews cannot perform Arya Samaj Marriage.
4. You can also perform Inter-Caste Marriages and Inter-Religious Marriages in Arya Samaj Marriages if the parties involved aren’t Muslims, Christians, Parsis or Jews.
5. If a non-Hindu couple wants to get married in an Arya Samaj Mandir, the Samaj can let them perform the marriage after getting converted through a process called Shuddhi. If Muslims, Christians, Parsis or Jews are ready to convert into Hindu religion out of their free will and consent, Arya Samaj Mandir will perform a ritual known as ‘Shuddhi’ which means purification and is very important for such conversion. After getting converted into Hindu religion, the couple can perform the Arya Samaj Marriage.
- It is the least expensive option to get married.
- The rituals followed in an Arya Samaj marriage are almost similar as of a normal wedding.
- Arya Samaj Marriages are covered with all Vedic rituals, chants, and blessings of God and there is no show-off.
Procedure for Arya Samaj registration
- Before the marriage takes place you can make an appointment at the sub-divisional magistrate’s office as it will take around two weeks.
- The next step is to fill the registration form and submit the proof of date of birth of both the parties.
- You also have to provide two passport size photographs of the bride and the groom along with a photograph of the marriage and marriage invitation card, which is optional.
- To sign the required paper, two witnesses have to be physically present during the registration.
- The documents are required to be attested by a gazetted officer.
- After all the formalities are done, you can obtain the marriage certificate from the magistrate’s office and the same is legally recognized by the court.
Although Arya Samaj marriages has made it easier for couples belonging to different religions, an Arya Samaj Marriage certificate is not a valid proof of the couple’s marriage abroad. The marriage certificate is only valid in India.
However, if you get your marriage registered with the sub registrar’s office then it can become valid outside India as well.