Are you toying with the idea of extending your home a bit? Well, adding an extra storey is a fabulous decision to take. This not only increases your living space, but you also get a rise in your resale value of the house. But if you want to ensure that your home extension stays a hit idea, you have to consider many things before starting with the actual work.
Essential factors to consider before adding an extra storey to the house!
Extra is always welcome! That’s why the idea of addition of an extra storey can be so welcoming. You can easily fit some bedrooms, en suite bathrooms, and even a living room and kitchen in the floor above. But remember to keep in mind the below listed factors before starting the main work.
- Is your base foundation firm enough? —Before you start thinking about adding an extra storey on your floor, do consider the condition of your foundation. Is it strong enough to bear the load of an extra floor? And will you have to repair the first floor before adding an extra?
- Get the required permissions — There are certain laws laid out by the government on your home extension projects. Even adding an extra storey to your floor has certain laws attributed to them. You have to get the required permissions from the officials before the actual work starts.
- On site building or readymade extension — Now you have two options in front of you — either you can get a readymade home built up by the contractors at their site and directly fit on your floor, or you can hire the best builders in Hamilton, NZ, like Dynasty Homes to carry out the task for you at your premises. They are certified home builders having done really exceptional work before and this is what makes them stand out from others.
- Living in the place or moving out temporarily — Now you have to decide whether you want to stay on the property while the work is going on or move out temporarily. Most of the families consider a small vacation when the house extension project is going on. But if you are ready to live in, you have to bear the dust, the workers moving around, and even the noise.
- The common points between the floors — Adding an extra storey to the house doesn’t mean that you’re totally creating a nuclear house upstairs. You have to decide whether it’s just the stairs or the basement that would connect the two floors together or consider any other idea that your builders may provide.
- Check if the trees are harmed —Remember to not to harm the environment when you are adding an extra storey. Check if there are any trees which would be damaged in the process, and if you can create the floor by adjusting with the trees that are on your property.
Apart from all these necessary factors, remember to keep your budget in mind, your privacy in the floor below, the neighbourhood issues, file for insurance, and design everything keeping the functionality in mind. If all these matters are considered properly, your new floor is certainly going to be a welcoming feature of the house.