Airport ground handling agents are responsible for assisting passengers with various tasks such as checking in luggage, boarding flights, and helping people with disabilities through security screening at airports. These agents also handle baggage storage and retrieval from the terminal to aircraft on the tarmac or gate area. They also provide passenger assistance services such as wheelchair service and help to get air travellers onto planes with stairs or ramps if needed. Choosing airport ground handling agents can be a difficult and daunting task. There are many different factors to consider, such as the company’s reliability, pricing structure, and customer service, among others.
Table of Contents
- 1. Choosing the Right Airport Ground Handling Agents
- 2. How Much Will it Cost?
- 3. What’s the Quality of Service?
- 4. What are their Licenses and Insurance Coverage?
- 5. Personal References and Online Reviews
- 6. What Type of Equipment do they have Available?
- 7. What is their Safety and Security Record?
- 8. Do they Monitor the Tarmac?
- 9. How do They Handle Security?
1. Choosing the Right Airport Ground Handling Agents
Perhaps, the number one thing you need to consider before choosing an airport ground handling agent is if they provide services that fit with your business. Since this service requires a lot of manpower and equipment, some companies may not offer certain services like wheelchair assistance or ramp boarding that other companies would.
Typically offered services are customs, immigration, freight/VIP handling, ticketing, cargo/mail/freight forwarding, and ground transportation. Some companies may also have certain limitations or extra charges for these services. You should find out what each type of service entails to know exactly what you’ll be getting and what to expect.
2. How Much Will it Cost?
There are two major pricing structures that most ground handling agents use. The first is a cost per flight hour, and the second is a minimum flight deck crew fee. Prices vary among companies, so it’s best to ask around and see how much they charge for each service. For example, some also offer long-term contracts, including discounts, regular contacts, and other benefits. This is a great benefit if you’re looking for more competitive pricing.
3. What’s the Quality of Service?
When choosing airport ground handling agents, it’s important to consider the quality of service they provide. You should know what compensation or incentives they offer their employees, as well as their training and hiring procedures. If they hire employees carelessly, such as those with criminal records or without proper work licenses/permits, this can cause security issues down the road.
It’s also important to find out if they offer quality insurance coverage for their employees and how they handle emergencies like medical accidents or injury claims. Make sure you are comfortable with the ground handling agents you are considering.
- They assist passengers with various tasks such as checking in luggage, boarding flights, and helping people with disabilities through security screening at airports.
- They assist the elderly and disabled on and off the planes.
- Helps in operating of baggage conveyor system between stationary vehicles or terminal building.
- Loading bags onto carts for movement from final checkpoint/terminal to aircraft.
- Assists with luggage storage and retrieval from the terminal to aircraft on tarmac or gate area.
- Assists with carriage of luggage carts to carousel system.
- Helping travelers obtain tickets, check-in bags, obtain boarding passes, obtain passports and carry out other mandatory security procedures.
4. What are their Licenses and Insurance Coverage?
The airport ground handling agents should be properly licensed and insured. You want to ensure that they have all the proper documentation and permits required by local and federal authorities to provide their services. This will ensure that your safety and interests are being covered at all times.
5. Personal References and Online Reviews
One of the best ways to determine whether or not an airport ground handling agent is right for you is by asking for personal references and reading online reviews from past customers. This will give you a better idea about what they can offer and how their service differs from others in the industry. This will also give you a better idea of their strengths and weaknesses.
6. What Type of Equipment do they have Available?
While working on the tarmac or gate area, the ground handling agents will need to be equipped. Ensure they have access to transportation like golf carts and bicycles and equipment like loading ramps, stairs, bags carts, and safety vests. This is also a good time to find out what type of assistance they’re willing to provide in case you need it for any reason.
7. What is their Safety and Security Record?
In order to have a safe and secure ground handling agent, you should know their safety record over the years. This will give you an idea of how well they handle risks like security breaches or accidents at the airport or tarmac. It will also allow you to determine whether or not they have insurance coverage for their employees and equipment in the event of an accident.
8. Do they Monitor the Tarmac?
Monitoring the tarmac is a big responsibility that your ground handling agents must carry out every day. It requires a lot of experience, training, and knowledge about airport security rules and regulations. You should ask them how they monitor the tarmac, so you’ll know if they have proper equipment and safety measures set up.
9. How do They Handle Security?
Security is extremely important when it comes to the tarmac and gate areas. Make sure you know how your ground handling agents handle security risks like unwarranted access to restricted areas, threats of terrorism or bomb threats, as well as accidents involving employees. The last thing you want is for them to be underprepared in case of an emergency.
If you need help with choosing airport ground handling agents or with the ground handling services themselves, make sure to contact us today. We can help you find out more information about all our services and how we differ from other agencies in the industry.