Do electronic giants frequently hire your agency to manufacture printed circuit boards for them? Do they use your electronic component in whatever gadgets they produce? Then, you need to ensure that the quality and reliability of your electronic assemblies are always high. The reason? It will lower the chances of complaints coming from your client’s end when customers return their products due to improper functioning. Since PCB is the heart of most electronic products, the chances are high that any malfunctioning issue in the mobile, laptop, tablet or other items would emerge from there only.
So, the question is how to deal with or minimize your PCB-related issues? Well, it will help if you provide your operators and engineers with IPC J-Std-001H instructional book. Now, the first question that might cross your mind is what IPC J-Std-001H is and what it comprises of. So, let’s see the answers to these questions right away:
Table of Contents
What is IPC J-STD-001?
You can interpret IPC J-STD-001 as a set of standards published by IPC about soldered electricals and electronic assemblies. The complete information in this small handbook states the specifications for the needed materials, requirements for the processes, and acceptability criteria for electronic items assemblies.
Do you know that IPC has grouped the electronics and electrical assemblies described in J-STD-001 based on the product classes? They have classified the items into three groups depending on process control regulations, performance requirements, manufacturability, and verification testing. In their classification, different classes represent:
Class 1: General electronic products
Class 2: Service electronic products
Class 3: High-performance electronic products
Why do you need to buy an IPC J-STD-001 standards book?
Putting your money on the IPC J-Std-001H handbook is quite an essential task because it lets your employees know the best soldering practices in the electronics industry. Once your operators have gained deep insights into this standards book, rest assured they can produce PCBs with the highest quality and reliability under particular environmental conditions.
What is new in the IPC J-STD-001 handbook?
Do you know when the J-STD-001 instructional book was first published? Just to let you know, IPC first launched this informative book in the year 1992 titled “J-STD-001A.” Since then, there have been various versions of this informative book coming out with several amendments.
And are you aware of the latest version of this handbook? It’s “J-STD-001H.” In this instructional book, you will find methods, materials, and verification criteria for establishing robust soldered interconnections (leaded and lead-free both).
This version of the IPC J-STD-001 is a must-have for professionals tasked with printed circuit assembly. It got released in the year 2020 with some significant changes and upgrades to the following:
1. Section D offers guidance for using x-ray for plated through-hole acceptance
2. Section 8 features new cleaning and residue requirements with new residue measuring standards.
3. Fresh criteria for wrapped terminals
4. The older ROSE (Resistivity of Solvent Extract) got replaced with SIT reliability test for the acceptable basis for manufacturing process qualification
And do you know what a convenient option for you is available currently? You can buy an IPC J-STD-001H standard book in an electronic or paper-bound version as per your need. Not just that, you can also enrol your technical staff in IPC J-STD-001 standard-based courses for providing them proper training associated with printed circuit assembly.
Now you might want to ask what this course is all about, right? So, let’ see:
What is the J-STD-001 certification program?
It is a PCB training course developed for technical professionals employed in the electronics industry, where they learn detailed explanations about the following things:
1. Material, component, and equipment
2. Soldering and assembly requirements
3. Through-hole mounting
4. Surface mounting of components
5. Terminal and wire connection
6. Coating, encapsulation, and adhesives
7. Cleaning and residue requirements
What are vital requirements for soldering according to J-STD-001?
1. Cleanliness is the most important thing to keep in mind for preventing contamination of tools, materials, and surfaces
2. The strands of the wires should not get damaged, and the solder paste must wet wire’s tinned section
3. Heating and cooling rates must not be different from the manufacturer’s instructions
4. Visual inspection must get carried out using AOI (Automated Optical Inspection) and AXI (Automated X-ray Inspection)
5. Performing soldering and cleanliness inspection is necessary before applying conformal coating and stacking
6. Defects that don’t comply with the function of the electronic assembly should get reworked or scrapped depending on the customers’ requirements.
7. The conductors, component leads, solder masks, and land patterns must accommodate well, exposing the basis metal
The Last Note
We hope you came across and learned several things in this article, such as what IPC J-STD-001 is, what its latest version includes, and why you need to buy it. So, if you want to buy an IPC J-STD-001 handbook now, go to the shopper-centric electronics eCommerce site right away.