Climate change has been a hot topic the past decade and we are often made aware of how wasteful we are as a society. From one time use plastics to non-recyclable packing, we have created 8 billion tons of plastic waste since 1950 and currently produce around 400 million tons a year with 91% of that not being recycled, often ending up in our oceans or landfill. These statistics are awfully shocking and show how little we have done to care for the environment we live in. We can understand that it is hard for the everyday individual to imagine the damage and harm that a single shampoo bottle or plastic water bottle can do to the environment. But consider that Americans alone throw away 35 billion, yes billion, water bottles a year, it very quickly adds up. Alternatively switching to an eco-friendly, plastic-free alternative provides you with a better quality, longer lasting reusable product that can last you for years without putting pressure on the environment or our health. Here are some other benefits as to why you should make the switch to eco friendly products instead of plastic:
- In the long run, purchasing an eco-friendly product can save you money. While there will be a bigger outlay in the beginning, for example purchasing a metal water bottle, this will very quickly begin to save you money rather than buying a bottle of water. Not to mention the huge benefits to the environment. Since eco-friendly products are made from recycled or “well-recyclable” materials, such as metal, wood or glass, they are super durable and better quality.
- Eco-friendly products will help to improve your health. A Lot of the plastic we use ends up in our body, from it leaching into the water from our water bottles to the chemicals found in cleaning solutions. A study found that 93% of Americans over the age of 6 test positive for BPA in their body. If that’s not a reason to switch to eco-friendly products, we can’t help you.
- Saving the environment. While our 50% of our plastic usage is for a one time use, this creates a great deal of waste but also damages the environment in the production of these products. Plastics take at least 400 years to decompose and are often found in the ecosystem and lead to hormonal imbalances in wildlife. Using eco-friendly products reduces this and helps to keep a healthy ecosystem.
- Your purchase is reinforcing the manufacturers’ decisions. Everytime you buy a product, you’re signalling to the company that you agree with the way the product is made and sold. if everyone started investing in eco-friendly products, market leaders and the biggest companies would realize that they must adapt to the changes. It’s time to put our money where our mouth is.
- Purchasing eco-friendly products lines up with most of our morals. Most eco-friendly products are not tested on animals and do not contain any animal-derived ingredients. As well as this, they are often crafted by local manufacturers, hence eliminating the possibility of poor manufacturing, mass production or unfair working conditions. At the same time, this means that with buying eco-friendly products, you can support local companies in your area too.